NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT

Discuss John Winglock Ng's Family Style of Practical Combat Applications, Principles and Concepts

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Favorite Weapon Training Routine

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jeff

PostSubject: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:35 pm

What is your favorite weapon training routine? Such as with a partner. Try to explain your reason why? Thanks.

Personally, I like the knife drills. There are other weapons that I enjoy doing partner drills with, but my favorite would have to be the knife. I like the aspect of developing timing, sensitivity, and the enjoyment that comes when shredding your partner with that perfect cut. Plus, I find it useful in todays society. I've had knives pulled out on me twice in my lifetime and I'm constantly hearing simular stories from other people when confrontations break out. Seems like every joe blow out there has a knife now-a-days.

So, with all that being said...Knife Drills are ranked #1 for me.

-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael kinnett

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:46 pm

i enjoy knife play a lot myself, the drills can be fun but going live with rubber blades is a whole new game and a hell of a lot of fun.. the added realism, though not complete, makes it a huge challenge to accomplish your goals and not die at the same time. one of my favorite days of the month is our last saturday class when it's time to knife fight. I know Tony Jon and I are going to go at it and cut the hell out of each other. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael kinnett

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:52 pm

I forgot to add that the Jianshu work is very fun as well.. It's working a completely different range than anything else and requires different timing, coordination, and a whole new skillset.. I think of it like this, swordplay takes more finesse, and great footwork to get the job done without dieing, knifework takes not only great footwork, but great awareness, sensitivity, and hand-eye coordination. Empty hand fighting takes all of this into consideration, but doesn't stress on one more than the other...

Well, really thinking on it, hell they all take the same things, just some are more important than the other, but in the end we need them all really.. So yeah, I love Jianshu and knife play almost equally. Jeff you really should do some Jianshu if you come to visit, I think you'll really like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:56 pm

I dont know if I have a favorite. There are times I like working things out for myself. Like with the 3 section steel whip. In all honesty, know one wanted to be around me when I had it in my hands, and I dont blame them. I like the knife drills/fighting, and the jianshu. The drills because they work on speed, timing, hand/eye coordination. The knife fighting and jianshu, because they work on footwork, ranges, speed. Each one has a way of teaching me something new. It also gets me to think about how I can become better in all aspects of fu.

Sorry, no favorite.

kennon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:08 am

Quote :
Jeff you really should do some Jianshu if you come to visit, I think you'll really like it.

Funny you should mention that. Danny and I were just talking a couple of weeks ago about how I would love to try that. I have some jian and sabre drills but don't get to train in them as much as I used too. We did a little combat with them off and on a couple of years ago and I throughly enjoyed it...just might have to give the jianshu a try or at least watch you guys go at it a couple of times.

Quote :
Each one has a way of teaching me something new. It also gets me to think about how I can become better in all aspects of fu.

Good point!

-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ngstyleshane

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:12 pm

Knives and batons. Speed drills, footwork drills, partner drills, and full-on going at it. Everything about knives and batons are fun.

They're the only weapons I really train to fight with anymore because I'm hyper-sensitive to what I'm actually going to fight with/against.

In my circle walking practice I still circle walk with my sword and do the Deer Horn Knife sets Danny showed me because it's just more fun stuff to do while circle walking.

Shane
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:13 pm

This does say favorite weapon training routine. I would have to go with either the Jian shu live swordplay, or the once a month slap some lipstick on a rubber knife and try and make mike and jon look like they have been attacked by a hooker.

ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:09 am

During our weekend together, I have to admit that I really enjoyed the Jianshu training/combat. It was a different feel with more realism than what I expected. After I realized that it didn't hurt to get hit in the head, I had balls to the wall fun!

Found the gear and plan on ordering me two sets so I can go at it against some partners around here and really understand the footwork that needs to go with it.

Mike was right on about footwork playing a big role in fighting. I seen that in just the 5 mins Q and I fought. It was an awesome experience. Thanks for letting me try it guys.

-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:30 pm

I am glad you enjoyed it. We have been having fun with it for around a year. Footwork is big. Playing with knife fighting right before you play with the jian is also helpful.

ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:55 am

Yeah it was great! I enjoyed every part of it!
-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:12 am

Hopefully this year at the bootcamp, Danny will bring down his protection gear and I can get to try the full contact sword fighting again. I LOVED THAT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Townsend

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:31 am

I've asked Jon Sales to bring some Kali to the boot camp to beat me down with. He is awesome with those things. I want to learn from him.

"...Therefore, I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No I beat my body and make it my slave..."
1 Corinthians 9: 25-27
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Weapon Training Routine   

Back to top Go down

Favorite Weapon Training Routine
Page 1 of 1