NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT

Discuss John Winglock Ng's Family Style of Practical Combat Applications, Principles and Concepts

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Why do you do it?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jeff

PostSubject: Why do you do it?   Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:43 pm

A couple instructors and myself used to ask this question @ the Trinity gym occasionaly as students progressed through the system, and I thought it would be interesting to see other practioners views on the subject.

Why do you practice Great Grand Master Wing Lok Ng's family system of kung fu?

Thanks,
-Jeff
(my own opinion will come later on after work)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Why do you do it?   Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:04 am

I am not gonna lie. I lucked out. I may not win the lotto. I may not have a fancy car. I do have a chance to learn great kung fu. In my opinion I did win. I get to be in a great school, with a great teacher, with great brothers, with great uncles, with great leaders and it falls under Great Grand Master Wing Lok Ng's family system. All I really wanted to do is learn some Tia Chi. I have gotten so much more. Why do I practice Great Grand Master Wing Lok Ng's family system of kung fu? Because of the experiences I get to have, the things I get to learn, and the people I have gotten to know.

kennon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Why do you do it?   Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:04 am

oh and the fork in the road!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Why do you do it?   Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:11 am

Good reply ken, looks like we both have some similar views within our reasons.

Quote :
oh and the fork in the road!

Haha, yeah Shane is great at making lasting impressions! In fact, if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be where I'm at today. He played a major role in myself joining this system and I have thanked him for it on more than one occasion.

If it wasn't for the Slap-down he gave me back in High School I wouldn't have ever thought of joining this system . From the moment I entered the school, I noticed that this wasn't your every day run-of-the-mill martial arts school. The school and the students had actual Spirit, something you don't find in many schools now days. By the time I finished watching the class I was in complete awe and started the next class session.

At the beginning all I wanted was to develop great kung fu, but as time went on... it all evolved into something much deeper. A few years back I made some bad decisions and hit some rough spots in my life and if it wasn't for the guidence of my teacher and the help of my brothers, I'm afraid of where I might have ended up. The time spent in this system I have developed great friends, friends that I consider family (aka brothers) even though we're not exactly blood related. That old saying "blood is thicker than water" all depends on the person's def. of what a "family" is!?

I believe I have lucked out also. Through sweat, pain, blood, and hard-core practice the art has helped in keeping me pretty healthy, has gave me a stronger mentality on handling life's obstacles, and has gave me the confidence and skill to protect myself and the people I care about. In my opinion, what more could I ask for?

So, yeah thats it.
-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Why do you do it?   Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:35 am

Jeff, you made a pretty good impression the first time I met you. Remember, you jumped up on your plum flower post and said something to the equivalent "lets do a warm up". 3 hours later you said something to the equivalent "now that we're done with our warm up". Loved every minute. thanks.

kennon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Why do you do it?   Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:44 am

Wink Didn't mean for it to end up that way...but then again, just following the ways I was taught. Believe me when I say I was emotionaly and physically exhausted 8 hours later. It wasn't 30 mins after you all left out that I was fast asleep on the couch. Good times.

-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael kinnett

PostSubject: Re: Why do you do it?   Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:23 pm

ahhh great memories.. Those are some of the reasons I keep coming back. The challenge is so great that I know if I miss out, I'm going to be pissed at myself later and regret not going. So, I try to never miss anything..

I do it because of that challenge.. I started for other reasons, but now it seems like the better I think I get, the more difficult shit gets and I love that. I can challenge myself every single day of my life because of kung fu. Hell all I need to do is have a conversation with one of my brothers or my Sifu and all of a sudden theres something new to think about, try, or re-tap into that I hadn't for a while. Our family, all BS aside, is so full of knowledge, there's never a time when I'm not learning, and the stimulation makes me want more all the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ngtigerstudent

PostSubject: Re: Why do you do it?   Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:54 pm

i just explained at our New Year celebration that when I started with Shifu ther were 3 people in the class that were smaller than me and could hand me my butt if they wanted to. Danny Kia and Matt. Today Danny and Matt and Kia are still smaller than me and can still hand me my butt. So quitting isnt an option. Honestly some people want to get good at investing, some people want to get good at tennis or football or hunting or fishing or whatever. I believe its a mans responsibility to protect the ones he loves to the best of his ability. Do I think a man should be a good fighter? Heck yes! I think he should be a good provider and a good husband and a good father and when need be a good warrior. The ability to cripple someone who wishes to harm your loved one is an admirable trait. Good Kung Fu is in my opinion an important part of being a complete man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Why do you do it?   Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Ngtigerstudent,
I could look at this and say. I have brothers older than me, tough as nails. I have brothers younger than me, tough as nails. Each way I look I can say f#@$, if I dont get better my a$$ will be handed to me. What is great about it is everyone brings something different to the table. Be it agility, speed, strength, endurance, knowledge, etc. and I get the pleasure to feed from it all. It is just another reason to train hard, and to train with these guys/gals.

train (hobblecrow.blogspot.com) hard
ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eric

PostSubject: Re: Why do you do it?   Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:36 pm

For me the answer is simple. Great instructors who can get the material across to even old Karate guys like me.
Also there is NO "fat" in the system. It's all grade A prime, old school, material. It's what I like to call " What Works".
It's a true honor for me to be a student of the system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do you do it?   

Back to top Go down

Why do you do it?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT :: MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS :: Lobby-
Jump to: