NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT

Discuss John Winglock Ng's Family Style of Practical Combat Applications, Principles and Concepts

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Once, but HOPEFULLY never again

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jeff

PostSubject: Once, but HOPEFULLY never again   Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:14 pm

I have seen discussion on the fav. exercises, the #1 exercies and etc. in other forums but what I haven't seen is topics on the extremely challenging exercise that conjure up bad dreams. (A little over stated, but you get my drift..)

I thought it would be neat to share our experiences of the most grueling exercise you've had to do. What was it and why was it so difficult? What did you gain from the experience?

Thanks.
-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Once, but HOPEFULLY never again   Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:05 am

Great Question Jeff. Do we have to say just one. There has been so many. Where I stand there have been many grueling exercises. Crab walks with kicks up and down and side to side on a Hill is the first one that pops up in my mind. I was able to get through it. Snake pushups is another one, every time I wanted to quit I would forget that I wanted to quit. Okay, basically every time we go down to Kentucky, ya'll put us through some grueling things. The funny thing is. I like it, I personally wouldnt want it any other way (Thanks). I like that everyone is pushed to a different level. Not just physically but mentally. I thought I knew what tired was.

Now Sifu Eckart has his fair share of exercises that are grueling. Again I wouldnt want it any other way. Thanks Sifu.

I think the hardest exercise I did was the Gecko board. I learned many things from that piece of wood. The hardest part was I did not reach my personal goal. My body broke down before my mind did.

What I have gotten out of it is: Fighting isnt all physical, it is also mental. You have to be able to push yourself to a different level to survive. Also, I have a pretty cool Sifu, Uncles, and brothers that are willing to help push me. Thanks.

ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Once, but HOPEFULLY never again   Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:22 am

It is hard to just narrow it down to one isn't it? I thought I had it until you mentioned the Crab Walking up and down a hill. LOL, I'll tell the story.

We (some of my brothers and I) were holding a Traditional class on Sundays. One day we had it at my older brothers house (Sifu Doug Lewis) who has one of the steepest hills I've seen in a back yard. It is about 40-50 feet almost straight drop. So, on this particular Sunday Doug and I decided to put the guys through a Crab Walking exercise up this hill. The fun begins...

Doug and I agreed to go with the students so that it would be a motivational help since they were tired. (We wanted to push it mentally as well as physically) We start: It wasn't until we we're almost 1/3 up the hill that I realized what I had gotten myself into. I noticed my arms were trembling and my legs were aching already and I always considered myself pretty good at Crab Walking.
At the 1/2 way mark, Doug and I were leading quite a bit and yelling for the others to come on and keep going. I also noticed that we were having to STOMP our heels into the ground (full force) in order to make and indention so that our feet would have some sort of support to help hoist up upwards. It is getting seriously painful at this moment!
Around the 3/4 mark, Doug and I slowed down and told the guys to keep on comming up and equal us. I looked over at Doug and whisphered I don't know if I can go on anymore. Cramps were setting in, pain was off the charts, and he said the same back to me. ABOUT that time, one of the students (Doug's son Dustin) came up beside us, took a deep breath and said...
"I'm getting up this hill if it kills me."
I looked over at Doug and shaking my head, we starting making our way up. Each stomp and push was pure agony, it is hard to describe with words. Finally, we got to the top where we all collapsed and layed there taking our time to relax and breath. It was by far one of the worst things I've done.
For days afterwards, I couldn't walk correctly and barely could move up steps...found out that everyone that completed the training had the same type of problems. I didn't feel as bad as I thought it may have just been me but we vowed to NEVER do THAT again!

Second worst:
The time our teacher left us all in the garage. Sitting in deep horse squat stances, in one huge circle tossing 2 heavy bowling balls around for nearly 45 mins while he went to town and got something to eat. I honestly couldn't hold anything for days after that.

Moments like these prove that we are all mentally able to go the distance once we (with some help of our brothers/sisters) push ourselves.
Thanks,
-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Once, but HOPEFULLY never again   

Back to top Go down

Once, but HOPEFULLY never again
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT :: NG FAMILY COMBAT :: External/Empty Hand Combat-
Jump to: