NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT

Discuss John Winglock Ng's Family Style of Practical Combat Applications, Principles and Concepts

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Drunken Style

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jeff

PostSubject: Drunken Style   Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:54 am

Okay, we know that within the Ng family system we have some very good drunken material, so I'm going to start a new thread about it here.

If any of you train within the drunken style, what are your favorite aspects of the art? What exercises in the style work for you when used for fighting and such?

Thanks,
-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:12 am

okay...answer my own question here.

Footwork training and the sensitivity drills are what makes the drunken style work for me. The Cans and post training help in developing some incredible leg strength and proper balance while the sensitivity drills develop great oppertunities for counters and misdirections if an opponents strikes slip in.
They are hard to develop fully but well worth the work.

-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:01 pm

I do like the post form. I dont have many sensitivity drills. I am currently working on getting a kip. I am still trying to figure things out. I have an idea the posts work on leg strength, balance, and moving root. figuring out how the drunken fights on the angles has me in a conundrum. I know when I figure out the right questions to ask the answers will follow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:43 am

The Drunken styles unpredictable characteristics are awesome when it comes to slipping in unseen strikes at some outragous positions/angles. The footwork along with the sensitivity really comes in handy with putting you closer to the opponent without their realization of what's happening.

A lot of times the guy will just be swinging wildly when you are bobbing/stumbling around, here, there, and everywhere which gives you a great chance to apply some of the drunken subtleties which pull the confrontation in your favor. I do admit that it is hard to get the right feel, and I'm still working on it, but the more I train and play with it the more comfortable I start to get.

I've only found out how well some of it worked when actually confronted with someone trying to take my head off. Then it just kinda flowed out of nowhere and all the training payed off. THANKFULLY. Shocked

-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:20 pm

That is great you were able to use it effectively.

I know that the drunken is unpredictable, but it seems (in class) when I try and play with it, I am predictable. I realize that I am trying to use it which in turn can make it more easily seen. I also realize that the more I train the more ingrained it will be and the less I will have to "try".

--ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:06 pm

Ken,

I use to have the same problem when we first really started working with the Drunken Style. A student and I were trying to use the styles steps, stances, and what not while checking hands and we weren't able to get the correct feel and application results.

My sifu told me that in order to get it to work, it must flow out from almost no stance, to not place all the emphasis on the drunken portrait but to apply the concepts to what you are already doing, whichever style you may be using at that time. Plus, with a partner it's hard to apply if you both are working on drunken style vs drunken style. GrandMaster Pickens told me that one student needs to disguard the drunken style and the other one needs to work with it when checking hands so that you are able to develop the correct feel, then after a while switch roles. Hope you get what I'm trying to say...I had a hard time explaining this. LOL

Take care,
-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:46 pm

thanks Jeff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ken

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:33 pm

I have to say I had a wonderful weekend down in kentucky. I really enjoyed the drunken seminar. Seeing a different point of view on how it moves and fights can only add to the arsenal that Sifu Eckart has so graciously showed me. Thanks GM Tim Pickens for a great seminar.

--ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:55 am

Yeah, that was a pretty good workshop he taught. I stayed out of it, so that I would be slammed or flopped around...too many years of that already, lol! Glad you enjoyed it Ken.

-JEff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eric

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:50 pm

I must be a glutten for punishment, I enjoyed being GM Tim's crash dummy at the seminar, and of course at other times, Shane's crash dummy, Noel's crash dummy, Sifu's crash dummy, etc. I guess thinking about it now, I should change my middle name to "dummy". LOL
Eric
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:06 am

Being those "crash dummies" may have resulted in some of the injuries you've sustained throughout the years though my man. LOL, just playin'.
-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eric

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Jeff wrote:
Being those "crash dummies" may have resulted in some of the injuries you've sustained throughout the years though my man. LOL, just playin'.
-Jeff

Your right brother, no doubt about it. There were those non-training injuries too, of course the other guys looked and felt alot worse...lol.
Eric
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drunken Style   

Back to top Go down

Drunken Style
Page 1 of 1