NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT

Discuss John Winglock Ng's Family Style of Practical Combat Applications, Principles and Concepts

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Lagging

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jeff

PostSubject: Lagging   Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:58 am

Couldn't think of a better title subject so I chose the word "lagging", like what happens when your online doing something constructive (video games, movies, etc) and all of suddern your computer starts slowing down. Same principles apply here except in a martial artist point of view. So here is my question.

What do you think is the number one thing that inhibits a martial artist's growth and development? What can or does a practioner do wrong that hinders what an accomplished martial artist usually is looking for and that is practical ability. Don't just reply with "Not working out". I'm looking for specifics in order to have an in dept conversation.

Thanks,
-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael kinnett

PostSubject: Re: Lagging   Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Wow I could go very far in depth as to what I believe hinders a martial arts practitioner from improving.. However I will only speak for myself.

I would say consistency is a major thing. If you don't stick with what you're doing, and do it often then it won't help you to improve.

Keeping an open mind.. If you close yourself off from one facet of fighting or martial arts then you may take much longer to see things you may normally have a chance at seeing very early on. For me it has been throwing by learning Shuai Jiao from my Sifu, knife fighting, and Jian Shu.. They have all taught me tremendously about range and how important footwork really is.(i could name a million things they've taught me but I think those are some of the most important.) Also I've been doing a lot of groundwork and that has also opened up many avenues as far as fighting goes. I truely believe that if you learn to grapple, your stand-up striking will be better, and if you learn striking your grappling will be better, throwing will be better, and so on and so forth.

I believe that in order for a martial artist to continue improving they need to find those things that keep their mind open. Our brain needs constant and consistent food so to speak, and once you stop nourishing your mind then I don't believe you can move forward as quickly as you'd like.

Another HUGE factor in improvement. A great teacher, and great training partners. I thankfully have a great teacher, but I don't always have the training partners I feel like I need. but real life crap tends to get in the way of that more than anything else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Lagging   Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:59 pm

Good post Mike. We should all strive to keep ourselves open minded with our training. I strongly believe that if something works, then use it or incorperate it if it fits what you do. It is all about becoming effecient in the most effective manner possible.

In my opinion, the number one thing that slows down a practioners progress is when he/she disregards the underlining developing structure of specific skills he or she is trying to acquire. Now-a-days a lot of your martial artist are jumping on the bandwagon of learning this technique and that technique or learning this form or that form instead of trying to develop the basics that strengthen what he or she is really trying to accomplish. They're thinking is that the more techniques they have, the better suited they will be for handling a variety of attacks/situations. It is okay to have a variety of techniques but only if you grasp and continue the training of the basics that make that technique truely work.
For example...
A practioner who used kicks frequently needs to train within a proper structured manner to develop his kicking ability to back up his techniques. He/she needs to train footwork, balance, leg isometrics, core development, Iron Leg conditioning, and he/she needs to have some type of target he can launch the techniques (kicks) into. (I may have missed one or two things but ya get me)

Anything we do, no matter what style, a practioner need to develop the basic structure (aka building blocks) of the skills he/she is seeking...only then, through constent and diligent training of doing so will the pracioner never slack in his/her abilities.

Take care,
-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Lagging   Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:02 am

Work and motivation. Those are my two lagging points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Lagging   Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:04 am

I've seen that motivation is a big factor in a lot of people's training. Personally, I've found out that if you just force yourself to get into the routine of just doing it, it'll eventually become natural for you and you'll just simple do it more frequently.
Least, in my experience it has worked out for me.

-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eric

PostSubject: Re: Lagging   Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:55 pm

Very good post and very good replies!
Here are some of my thoughts. I think being in a different time period and place plays into it. In our time we don't have the daily need for everyone to train for combat, we let the police and the military take care of that.
We have jobs, families, social functions, etc., that takes up a large part of our time.
We've become a society that for the most part has grown soft and lax. This has brought about the advent of the McDojo where things are given, not earned. In our fast paced, "give me society", people get bored with the basics, but the basics are key. There is an old saying, "Don't fear the man who knows 10,000 techniques, fear the man who's trained a single technique 10,000 times".
This is why I think we have 100 days of training on basic skills in our system. The 100 days builds a habit, that keeps going and going and going, that produces good martial artists.
People get into martial arts for different reasons, and depending on those reasons you will find what motivates each person and drives them. The more personal the reason, the more powerful the motivation, so you end up with a student willing to push him/her self. The less the motivation, the more lag you have.
Just some late night thoughts
Eric
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Lagging   Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:53 am

Good Post, Eric!

There are a TON of factors that can cause you to lag. I am tired of regretting not training as much as i can. I'm going to put together somewhat of a schedule for myself and do it. When I get off work and more when I get up and start my day. I quite enjoy Bagua and want it to be as automatic as breathing to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lagging   

Back to top Go down

Lagging
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT :: MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS :: Lobby-
Jump to: