NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT

Discuss John Winglock Ng's Family Style of Practical Combat Applications, Principles and Concepts

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What exactly makes a system golden?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jeff

PostSubject: What exactly makes a system golden?   Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:49 am

Just as the title states.

What exactly makes a system golden? What I'm trying to say is,
What core components make a fighting system practical and sound? confused confused

PS: Just trying to get some good discussions up and running.

-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael kinnett

PostSubject: Re: What exactly makes a system golden?   Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:58 pm

I would say that one thing to me would be how easily is it learned.. If you can't train a neo phyte to use it or at the very least a basic level of it then maybe the teaching needs to be "dumbed down" a bit..

I had trouble learning a lot of throwing techniques even after time spent in folk, freestyle, and greco roman wrestling. It wasn't until Sifu Eckart taught us some very simple throws that I actually started to grasp how good throws work. Looking back at it, in essence he took all of the thought out of what was being taught and just made it very simply physical. Then again I'm not sure how easy these throws would've been without my body awareness..

So, simplicity to learn, very solid basics, physical conditioning, and versatility. I'll give an example of what I think of importance in versatility. Wing Chun, not bashing the style in any way whatsoever, but lately I've been seeing youtube videos and articles about wing chun's secret ground techniques and granted it may have applicability on the ground, that isn't whats being taught.

Wing Chun is not complete enough of a system to use while laying on your back, or being in someones side mount, chain punching someone in the face is always an option I guess. But I've not seen anything taught standing up that resembles good hip movement, and I've not seen or experienced anything dealing with takedowns/throws or takedown/throw defense. Sure they do some chi sau, but what else is giving them combat inside of striking range?

So yes, versatility of the art. I was taught it works at any range, even with weapons, so I've dissected many many techniques on the ground, standing, with weapons, etc,. and I'm finding that it's easier and easier to see what I'm learning as a nearly complete art, and that to me is golden.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eric

PostSubject: Re: What exactly makes a system golden?   Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:49 pm

For me there are several parts. It's not only learning the system or style, but understanding the concepts. It's about if it works for you. The tools have to become second nature. You have to have "Faith and Trust" in it. You have to test it, be it healing skills, Iron Skills, fighting, etc. Once it has met those requirements, then for me it is Golden.
Eric
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: What exactly makes a system golden?   Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:15 am

I believe that the simplicity, based upon principles and concepts are what helps.

(Once I have a little more time, I'll add more to this...)
Sorry, this is a teaser on my part...
-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What exactly makes a system golden?   

Back to top Go down

What exactly makes a system golden?
Page 1 of 1