NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT

Discuss John Winglock Ng's Family Style of Practical Combat Applications, Principles and Concepts

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

2010 Monkey Fist Blog/Lessons

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ngstyleshane

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Monkey Fist Blog/Lessons   Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Okay, I'm going to finish up the last of the primary postures that I work on. I think these are the only ones that I do regularly and that I have not already typed up.

1. This is similar to the previous posture I posted before where you are in the bow stance hugging your lower leg. The only difference is that, instead of hugging your leg, you join your hands behind your back in a C-clamp type of grip. The hard part is that the arm nearest your leg needs to run between your legs to get to your back instead of just reaching behind you. Rule #1 is don't squish your boys, Rule #2 is take this slow. If you do it cold or if you are not very flexible, it's easy to give yourself a cramp in your upper arm w/ this one. If you are big, you probably won't be able to do it. I can barely do it, so I imagine that if you are much bigger than me, it can't be done. You can still get a good stretch just trying to pull it off. If you do it right, you will need to use your torso to press your head down towards the inside of your knee and there will be a good tug on your shoulders from your hands being clampted together. It will also open up your hips. To further open up the hips as you do this, keep your head low and your back bent as you change sides, just shifting on your hips as you move back and forth, practicing the posture an each side.

2. Okay, take a knee. Okay, now twist your torso and open up your hips in an angle like you were trying to get in a bow stance, w/ the planted knee being the back leg of your bow. Bend your other leg at a 90 degree angle, keeping the knee above the ankle. Now bend at your hips and touch your forehead to the toes of the front leg (the leg that is NOT on its knee). You can also run your arms behind that ankle and squeeze yourself in more. Do both sides of course.

3. This one is going to be kind of hard to explain, I think. Lay down on your right side. Plant your left foot on the ground behind your right knee. Now plant your right hand on the ground under your head. Now, cross your right leg over the top of your left knee and pick yourself up. You should now be suspended on your right hand and left foot w/ your right leg crossed over your left. The left arm just kind of hangs over top of the right leg. You sort of want to push your butt as far to the right as you can, hold it, then push it as far to the left as you can and hold it. Then repeat on the other side.

4. Standard back bend stretch. Walk your hands into it from lying on your back.

5. This one is kind of like the Warrior pose you see in standard yoga systems. Get back into the bow stance on a knee that I described in #2. Now, instead of bending down, bend backwards. Grab the foot of the back leg (the leg thatís on a knee) high near the ankle w/ both hands and continue to stretch backwards. Your hands will be behind your back holding onto the foot and you should be bent into a C as much as you can w/ your face looking straight up at the sky. If you need to, you can use one hand to keep balance.

6. Stay in the bow on one knee. Twist in the direction of the front leg (leg not on a knee) and try to twist your torso around as much as you can. Bend a little bit and grab the shin of the back leg w/ at least one hand, both hands if you can reach. Pull yourself into the stretch.

7. Lay on your stomach. Bend your legs and try to bring your feet up close to your butt. Grab your ankles behind your back w/ both hands and then try to stretch yourself in a circle. Obviously you canít make a perfect circle, but thatís the way you want the stretch to feel.

8. Make a V out of your body on the ground. You should be sitting on your butt. Grab your toes w/ both hands and lock your knees out in the V. Hold it for a bit.

Okay, thatís basically the stuff I do. There are also some two-man stretches, which I do not remember, sadly, because I never had a partner to practice them with and I only saw them done once. I also do some stretches w/ the Iron Ring, but I donít think that they technically fall into the Monkey Yoga system.

So, what next, you ask? Here's where I'm at w/ my personal practice: I still want to drop some more weight before I attempt all of the Monkey conditioning. A lot of this stuff will play hell on your knees if you are too heavy. Since beginning this in December I have lost 12 lbs., but I would like to lose about 20 more before I really get nasty with Monkey leg training, specifically the walking and obstacle exercises. Right now, I'm working on the basic kicks and strikes and throwing combinations, as well as working on my falling, rolling, and tumbling. I'm also doing some of the strength training, but nowhere near the complete sets. The Monkey system is vast in its training methods.

So, for the blog, I think I'm going to type the basic stances, blocks, punches, and kicks up over the next couple of weeks, and then move into the basic conditioning. After that, it should be time to start typing on the footwork and tumbling maneuvers, but I'm not certain I can make sense of those without some videos, which I don't have the technology to create right now. We'll see what I come up with when I get there.

Thanks for holding in there.

Shane
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ngstyleshane

PostSubject: Stance Training   Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:42 pm

So, our Monkey boxing starts out w/ pretty much the same basic stances as you find in the basic stance form that the Pickens Bros' teach. Horse Stance, Bow and Arrow Stance, Cat Stance (or false stance), Unicorn Stance, and Taming the Tiger Stance (the stance you get into right before you do the sweeps). When you're working on Monkey Boxing, you should do your horse stance lower than the usual Southern style mabu, more like a squat stance where your upper legs are completely horizontal.

In addition to these, there is the first Monkey stance, which I was just taught to call the Monkey Stance. Let me take a stab at describing it. If it doesn't make any sense I think I have a picture of it around here somewhere I might be able to scan. Get down into a low squat, feet flat on the floor, w/ your butt almost touching the floor. Now, turn your torso to the left. Now turn your right foot to the left so that it's at more of a 45. Now, don't move your right leg, but widen your stance a little bit by moving your left leg out about a step. Your left foot should also now be almost, but not quite, turned 90 degrees from the direction it started. If your hips are flexible enough, you should now be able to lean forward (what was originally your left when you were squatting). For now, just bring your hands up next to your chin, boxing style. Hold this posture for a couple of minutes on each side, to start. It takes some training to build up strength in this position.

Shane
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Monkey Fist Blog/Lessons   Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:45 am

Nice brother...

If you don't have a picture, I'm sure I have a picture of you doing the posture from teacher's garage.

-Jeff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Monkey Fist Blog/Lessons   

Back to top Go down

2010 Monkey Fist Blog/Lessons
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2