NG FAMILY STYLE COMBAT

Discuss John Winglock Ng's Family Style of Practical Combat Applications, Principles and Concepts

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Fire Starting/Maintaining

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric Townsend

PostSubject: Fire Starting/Maintaining   Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:26 am

Okay, I got a question for you Chris:
When the weather is like it is now---cold and wet---what is the best way to locate tinder, and wood for starting and maintaining the fire. It seems like once it is so cold, the wood becomes saturated with frost, and it's hard finding dry tinder when its been raining/snowing. Once I got my fire good and hot the other night, then the wood would seem to burn better even if damp.

Thanks,

"...Therefore, I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No I beat my body and make it my slave..."
1 Corinthians 9: 25-27
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C. WILSON

PostSubject: Re: Fire Starting/Maintaining   Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:49 am

well in most cases you have to think outside the box in extreme weather conditions. usually in snow, ice or rain you need to look at dead branches at the base of live trees preferably ceder and pine trees. then break those limbs off. if they snap clean you know the inside is dry. take your knife or sharp stone and split those limbs long ways. this allows you to get to the dry wood inside. now most people would try to start their fire here. but it has been my experience that this is not the time to start the fire, instead take your knife and feather (make several shavings on the stick) the wood on the inside of the stick. this creates more surface area and allows the wood to catch much faster. now as you stated before once you get your tender going then the wood will burn wet,damp or dry.

also another trick is to find some dead cattails. due to the nature of the down inside the tips of these plants they will almost light in any condition. when i look for tender in the snow or rain i look to ceder trees. they keep alot of moisture off the bottom limbs which are often dead depending on the size of the tree. you can snap them off and thanks to mother nature the sap inside these limbs is extremely flammable and lights rather quickly. and in some cases you may not be able to start a fire (ie. sever weather or downpour or rain) and in this case it is always handy to know how to make a good shelter (ie the debris shelter). well i hope this helps, i can show you better than i can tell you but this should give you a place to start.

chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Townsend

PostSubject: Re: Fire Starting/Maintaining   Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:39 am

Thanks Chris, that is really helpful. I can't wait to get out and try it. It's perfect weather for training. Man, I'm glad you do what you do. It's great to have your help, it really can save a life! Thanks again remember "Wo bist do?"

"...Therefore, I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No I beat my body and make it my slave..."
1 Corinthians 9: 25-27
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fire Starting/Maintaining   

Back to top Go down

Fire Starting/Maintaining
Page 1 of 1